Last night, Chris Capuano was credited with a win for the first time since May 7, 2007. It's been a long road back to the majors for Capuano since undergoing his second Tommy John surgery, and a lot has happened while he was working his way back into the win column. Among the significant events that have taken place since Cappy was last a "winner" in the big leagues:July 21, 2007
- The final Harry Potter book is released and sells 11 million copies in the first 24 hours. The rest of us laugh at the people dressed up as wizards camping out in front of Barnes & Noble.October 8, 2007
- Marion Jones admits to doping and gives up the 5 Gold medals she won in the 2000 Sydney Olympics. We all act like we're shocked.November 5, 2007 to February 12, 2008
- The Writers Guild strike means there was nothing good to watch on TV.June 27, 2008
- Bill Gates steps down from daily duties as Chairman of MicrosoftAugust 17, 2008
- Michael Phelps wins his 8th gold medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, and we later find out his 20,000-calorie diet is fueled by the munchies.September 28, 2008
- CC Sabathia. Ryan Braun. Bobby Howry. Playoffs.June 11, 2009
- Swine flu is labeled a global pandemic, and everyone becomes a germophobe for about 2 weeks.June 25, 2009
- Michael Jackson's death almost breaks the Internet; everyone suddenly remembers his music was pretty damn good.June 11, 2010
- Americans discover they like soccer; hate vuvuzelas.June 26, 2010
- Americans discover they no longer like soccer; still hate vuvuzelas.
May 7, 2007 to July 19, 2010. That's 1169 days between wins. 167 weeks. Three years, two months, and 12 days. Nearly 1.7 million minutes.
I'm sure Cappy would tell anyone that it was just nice to help the team win on Monday night, but deep down inside it has to feel good. He's gone through a lot, and I personally wasn't expecting much from him in a spot start, even though it was against the woeful Pirates offense. Forget the stats for a day -- sometimes, baseball gives you some great moments that remind you why you watch, and last night was one of those for me.
Here's a hat tip to you, Cappy. You deserve it.