blog posting on it. Some pluses and minuses to signing Kenny Lofton: Pluses:I first heard about the rumor on Madison's ESPN Radio's Heller & Murphy show. Then I did a Google search and found ESPN was reporting it...and then JSOnline's Tom Haudricourt did a
- Lofton bats left-handed...something the Brewers sorely need.
- Lofton has a decent OBP historically: .367 in '07, and .386 vs. righties.
- He can steal bases still--23 last year.
- Lofton would bring that so-called "veteran" experience to a young team that lost its veteran leader, Geoff Jenkins, in the off-season.
- Lofton is old--he'll be 41 at the end of May next season.
- Lofton played in the AL last year (after 5 straight years in the NL).
- Lofton will be expensive--at least $4 million a season--something that the Brewers may not wish to spend on a platoon player.
- Lofton would delay the development of Tony Gwynn, Jr. and mean Gabe Gross would be released or traded (or sent down to Nashville).